Hugglescote Surgery is based in the town of Hugglescote in Leicestershire, East Midlands.
The practice was founded in about 1925 by Dr Thomas Forsyth, born 1886, who was the Medical Officer of Health (M.O.H) for Ashby. He lived with his family at, and practised from, 8 Forest Road until his death in 1945.
The building was taken over by Dr Silas William (Billy) Dunkin, born 1905, who lived and worked there with his wife until retiring around 1980. He was the son of another Coalville GP, Silas Ethelbert Dunkin, who worked from 21 London Road, and was a partner of Dr Sheila Lee, which practice became the Whitwick Road Surgery. The Forest Road Surgery and the Whitwick Road Surgery shared on-call for many years before either the coop or the current system was introduced.
While Dr S W Dunkin was at Forest Road, he took on a partner, Dr Yvonne Bladon, who worked there until December 1984. On Dr Dunkin’s retirement, Dr Bladon took on Dr David Newman as partner. Dr Dunkin continued to live upstairs after his retirement, until in 1984 he moved out to make way for conversion of the whole building to practice premises. When Dr Bladon stopped work at the surgery, Dr Newman took Dr David Woods as partner, and the two oversaw the conversion of the building. Dr Woods initiated the computerisation of the practice, which was soon expanding rapidly from a starting list of about 3,100 in 1985.
In 2009, the surgery moved to it’s current location on Grange Road. The site was purpose built as a GP surgery, and at the time had ample capacity for it’s patients. Jump to current day, and with the additional residential developments in the area, Hugglescote Surgery needs to once again extend to cope with the number of new residents moving into the town.